Date: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 | Category: Collective Agreement | Author: UniforAdmin
Leave of Absence is defined as leave granted for pre-planned personal or professional reasons. Leave of absence may be granted under the following conditions, depending on the circumstances at the time:
- Such request must be made in writing to the Company well in advance of the anticipated or desired time.
- No such requests shall be granted until an employee has completed two (2) full years of employment with the Company.
- No employee shall be granted leave of absence more often than once every three (3) full years of employment.
- Leaves of Absence shall be without pay and no additional credit shall be given for a General Holiday falling within such period
- Under certain employment conditions, the Company may approve a Leave of Absence at an earlier date, providing such approval is agreed upon at the time of employment with the understanding that such employee shall be bound by the conditions set out in (1) through (4) above in any future requests for Leave of Absence.
- Any Leave granted pursuant to this Article shall be subject to the operational needs and requirements of the Company.
Where an employee is granted Leave of Absence without pay pursuant to Article 40.1 or 40.5, and such leave extends beyond one (1) month, the following shall apply:
- Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 45.3 of this Agreement, an employee’s anniversary date for salary advancement shall be delayed one month for each full month of absence.
- Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 34.1 of this Agreement, an employee’s vacation entitlement shall be pro-rated to reflect the number of full months absent. All employees granted leave will be required to use any outstanding floating days, and any earned vacation and/or compensatory time as part of the approved leave
- Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 44.2 of this Agreement, where an employee takes an extended unpaid leave of absence to a maximum of six months, the employee shall be responsible for the full cost of Group Benefits coverage. Eligibility for benefits coverage shall be in accordance with the existing plan.
- An employee granted any unpaid leave of absence which exceeds six months, will not be allowed to continue participation in the Company Group Benefit plan during the course of said leave. Upon return, benefits coverage shall be in accordance with the existing plan.
- Continued participation in the Company Pension Plan will not be allowed.
- The unpaid leave of absence will not extend beyond 12 months.
Compassionate Leave is defined as leave granted for unexpected personal reasons. Such Leave must have prior approval of the Company.
Witness and Jury Leave – employees required to serve on juries or to obey a subpoena or a notice to attend a judicial proceeding shall suffer no loss of pay, provided that:
- All fees received from the service are paid to the Company; and
- Employees shall return to work if released prior to 13:00 hours on the day in question; and
- Except for the last day of leave for this purpose, an employee shall not be required to work beyond 17:00 hours on the day in question.
40.5 – Educational Leave
- Educational Leave may be granted to an employee.
- Educational Leave as outlined in (1) above shall be subject to the operational requirements of the Company.
- Educational Leave as outlined in (1) above shall be authorized by the Company at least two (2) weeks prior to the start of the leave. Such authorization shall not be unreasonably withheld..
- Educational Leave is applicable to the same criteria as outlined in Article 40.2